Sunday, June 19, 2011

June 11, 2011 Saturday (Day two, Maine trip)

June 11, 2011 Saturday



Kentucky to Pennsylvania


Woke up early, had a quick breakfast of champions



on the road to Wal-Mart.


Stocked up on some food for our igloo for the rest of the trip. Then off to Cumberland Gap National Forest



For a quick hike up to Pinnacle Rock for a view of the near by cities. We road up the mountain 4 miles on tight twisty roads till we reached the top parking lot.


We had the whole place to ourselves (so we thought, dum, dum, Dum!). A quick look over the place then we were off to a beautiful trail

to the top of the mountain.


We were only a few hundred yards into the trail when we found out that we were not alone on the trail…we heard a rustling sound in the near by bushes...the out it came, I had no time to react, it was upon us….a giant killer female deer…

all I can say I was so glad it was not a bear, as when I looked back I found myself standing alone!!! My wife was almost back at the car running for her life


before I could explain to here it was just a doe…so much for backup. Ha-ha. So needless to say for the rest of the trip I made her walk in front…so I could keep an eye on her. Wink, wink. My thinking is if a bear does jump out on us, as she runs by be I could a least trip her. Bear food,


I’m always thinking. Ha-ha.


Well we made it to the top with a lot of huffing and puffing and were rewarded with an unbelievable view of the cities below.


We hiked a little on the upper trails and came across this cannon,


my question is “how did they get it to the top?” so back to the car we went and down the mountain.


Then we crossed into West Virginia


and stopped at another diner, drive-in and dive “Hillbilly hotdog” oh man did we have fun there, it was everything Guy said it would be and more. I’m only going to give you a couple of photos of this as I will be doing a post about the place.



Then we crossed into Pennsylvania


late that night and got a room at the Red Roof Inn


(our only dive hotel of the trip) Construction workers everywhere parting all night,


no elevator had to lug our bags up several flights of stairs.


Till next post


Big Al

No comments:

States I’ve traveled to over the years

big als music